Wake Forest took over the top spot in the Carolinas college football poll this week after previously top-ranked Clemson turned in a disappointing performance in a loss to Alabama.
The Deacons totaled more overall points in the balloting than second-ranked East Carolina, which captured one more first-place vote (4 to 3) after its surprising victory against Virginia Tech in Charlotte.
The weekly poll is voted on by a group of sports writers at the Charlotte Observer and (Raleigh) News and Observer.
1. Wake Forest (1-0) – Can QB Riley Skinner pick apart Mississippi defense?
2. East Carolina (1-0) – Pirates have West Virginia's attention for sure
3. South Carolina (1-0) – Must get better QB play Thursday at Vanderbilt
4. Clemson (0-1) – Surely Tigers are better than they showed against Bama
5. North Carolina (1-0)– Week off should help Heels work out many kinks
6. Duke (1-0) – David Cutcliffe still undefeated as Blue Devils' coach
7. Appalachian State (0-1) – No surprise Mountaineers were no match for LSU
8. N.C. State (0-1) – Wolfpack has many questions, no easy answers
9. Wofford (1-0) – Terriers had two 100-yard rushers against Presbyterian
10. Elon (0-1) – Despite loss to Richmond, Phoenix stays in the top 10.
Also receiving votes: Furman, Lenoir-Rhyne, Western Carolina, Fayetteville State. Ron Green Jr.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less