The East Carolina Pirates, suddenly a power on the national scene, were the unanimous No. 1 choice in voting for the weekly Carolinas college top 10 football poll by writers from The Charlotte Observer and Raleigh's News & Observer.
The Pirates, who have beaten Virginia Tech and West Virginia to climb to 14th in the latest Associated Press rankings, were trailed by Wake Forest, which received every second-place vote.
1. East Carolina (2-0): The Pirates are the surprise team in college football so far.
2. Wake Forest (2-0): The ACC's best team could barely beat a second-tier SEC team at home.
3. Clemson (1-1): If the Tigers struggle against N.C. State, Tiger fans will howl.
4. South Carolina (1-1): From bad to worse – a loss at Vandy. Now Georgia visits.
5. North Carolina (1-0): Thursday night's trip to Rutgers should tell plenty.
6. Appalachian State (1-1): The Mountaineers take a week off before heading to James Madison.
7. N.C. State (1-1): The Wolfpack still has far more questions than answers.
8. Duke (1-1): The Devils rank second in the ACC in total offense (418 yards per game).
9. Wofford (2-0): The Terriers are averaging 39.5 points per game.
10. Elon (1-1): Needs to improve its rushing average of 20 yards per game.
Also receiving votes: Furman.