The East Carolina Pirates, suddenly a power on the national scene, were the unanimous No. 1 choice in voting for the weekly Carolinas college top 10 football poll by writers from The Charlotte Observer and Raleigh's News & Observer.
The Pirates, who have beaten Virginia Tech and West Virginia to climb to 14th in the latest Associated Press rankings, were trailed by Wake Forest, which received every second-place vote.
1. East Carolina (2-0): The Pirates are the surprise team in college football so far.
2. Wake Forest (2-0): The ACC's best team could barely beat a second-tier SEC team at home.
3. Clemson (1-1): If the Tigers struggle against N.C. State, Tiger fans will howl.
4. South Carolina (1-1): From bad to worse – a loss at Vandy. Now Georgia visits.
5. North Carolina (1-0): Thursday night's trip to Rutgers should tell plenty.
6. Appalachian State (1-1): The Mountaineers take a week off before heading to James Madison.
7. N.C. State (1-1): The Wolfpack still has far more questions than answers.
8. Duke (1-1): The Devils rank second in the ACC in total offense (418 yards per game).
9. Wofford (2-0): The Terriers are averaging 39.5 points per game.
10. Elon (1-1): Needs to improve its rushing average of 20 yards per game.
Also receiving votes: Furman.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less