html
Printed from the Charlotte Observer - www.CharlotteObserver.com
Posted: Thursday, Sep. 11, 2008

Police search for woman who reported Dilworth rape

By Victoria Cherrie
Published in: Local News

Related Images

A recent rape report in Dilworth has turned into a complicated investigation for Charlotte-Mecklenburg police, who are now searching for the victim to clarify her allegations, police said Wednesday.

The 22-year-old woman from South Carolina told police she was abducted from the 600 block East Boulevard on Friday night and raped by three men on the side of a nearby road.

She reported the crime about 12:30 a.m. Saturday – two hours after the incident – and was hospitalized with injuries, a police report said. She left before authorities could talk to her further.

Since then, officers learned that some information was inaccurate, and are trying to find witnesses, the victim and the suspects she described, police said.

They declined Wednesday to say what the misinformation involved.

Dilworth residents began to learn about the reported crime on Sunday through an e-mail from a police officer to members of a neighborhood crime coalition.

Police did not activate an automated message after the reported rape on East Boulevard, which they sometimes use to alert residents about crimes and suspects.

Numerous business owners and others Wednesday said they were upset they hadn't been told about the crime, which was reported as the annual Greek Festival was wrapping up Friday night.

Just last year, residents dealt with series of attacks in Dilworth and Myers Park over a span of two years. Jose Rivera, a 26-year-old illegal immigrant, is accused of raping three women in those cases. He has a scheduled court date in December.

“We will be making a statement when we complete the investigation or make some headway towards identifying the suspects,” said Sgt. Darrell Price, a sexual assault unit supervisor.

Subscribe to The Charlotte Observer.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more