Printed from the Charlotte Observer -
Posted: Tuesday, Jun. 09, 2009

How to Get Help

Published in: 'Nightmare' archive

Related Images

If you're a homeowner behind on mortgage payments or facing foreclosure, here are some places to call for information or help:

• Contact the company that services your loan as soon as possible. They may be willing to adjust your payments.

• You can also contact a counseling agency, which can work with the lender on your behalf. In Charlotte, United Family Services offers counseling at 704-332-9034. Outside Charlotte, you can find a local agency by calling the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development at 800-569-4287 or online at

• You can also call a national nonprofit, the Home Ownership Preservation Foundation, at 888-995-4673.

If you believe your home purchase may involve illegal or unethical work by real estate professionals, contact:

N.C. Appraisal Board: 919-870-4854 or

N.C. Banking Commission (which licenses loan officers and mortgage brokers): 919-733-3016 or

N.C. Real Estate Commission: 919-875-3700 or

The N.C. Attorney General Consumer Protection Division: 877-566-7226 or

The FBI: 704-377-9200 in North Carolina.

Subscribe to The Charlotte Observer.

Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more