Morgana Shorter, a junior at Phillip O. Berry Academy, recently collected more than 200 pairs of athletic sneakers for the Access 2 Success Foundation in Davidson.
The foundation assists childrens schools in Benin, Nigeria, which need shoes for athletic games. When Morgana heard about the foundation, she wanted to help.
Teens today love their tennis shoes and I knew they always had some in their closets that they no longer wore, she said.
Morgana (shown holding a sign, amid volunteers who helped) came up with Shoes 4 Hats, in which students who donated a pair of shoes would get the privilege of wearing their favorite hats to school at the end of the three-day drive.
Morgana, a varsity basketball, volleyball and softball player who maintains a 4.0 GPA, said she had help from fellow athletes in collecting, and other Berry students helped her bag and sort shoes.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.