Charlotte 49ers freshman Raoul Menard took over the individual lead and the defending champ 49ers moved into a tie for second-place entering Sunday's final round of the Atlantic 10 golf championship in Coral Gables, Fla.
Charlotte shot 4 under par in the second round to move into a tie for second at 6-under 570, two strokes back of first-round leader George Washington (8-under 568).
Menard, a four-time Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week, shot 4-under 68 to move into first-place on the leaderboard at 6-under 138, one stroke ahead of George Washington's Andres Pumariega.
Charlotte's Tyler Mitchell added 1-under 71 and Paul Ferrier shot 72. Olafur Loftsson and Rafael Guerreo added a 73 and 74, respectively. Ferrier is tied for seventh overall at 2-under 142 and Loftsson is tied for 16th at 1-over 145.
Xavier posted the best round of the day at 8-under 280, to climb into the tie with Charlotte for second.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.