On Style Girlfriend, I’m usually discussing all the ways guys can improve their look – tips, tricks and shortcuts to becoming a more stylish man. Maybe it’s time to take a step back to remind ourselves, why all the fuss? After all, dressing well takes more effort. To arguments of, “But my jeans are so comfortable!” and “No one dresses up anymore!” I say: Sure, your broken-in jeans feel good, but so does the feeling of admiring glances when you wear a suit cut just so for your body. As for Casual Friday stretching into Casual Everyday, I ask: Why go along with the herd? It’s more fun to be a well-dressed leader than part of the poorly dressed pack.
Below are 15 more reasons why guys should consider starting up their style engines:
• Because great clothes and accessories make great conversation starters. No one will ask you, “Where’d you get that pocket square?” if you never wear a pocket square.
• Because you put in hard work at the gym. Why not show off the results of all those miles logged on the treadmill?
• Because you put in hard work at the office. Why not dress like the guy who sits in the corner office if that’s where you want to sit someday?
• Because you’ll never improve your style if you don’t try.
• Because a well-made suit shouldn’t waste its life away hidden in the back your closet.
• Because you never know who you’ll run into when you leave the house. Why wouldn’t Olivia Munn frequent your local drugstore?
• Because a casual workplace is no excuse for sloppy work, and it shouldn’t be an excuse for sloppy clothes.
• Because a pretty girl giving you the once-over feels pretty freaking great.
• Because your clothes make a statement about who you are, and dressing like you don’t care about your appearance makes people wonder what else you don’t care about.
• Because your boss may wonder if you’re interviewing for a new job and finally give you that raise you deserve.
• Because it’s good for your self-esteem. Dressing with intention forces you to develop the confidence needed to stand out in a crowd.
• Because Ryan Gosling doesn’t have the market cornered on men’s style.
• Because style isn’t a zero-sum game. Just because dressing well is your boss/friend/brother’s “thing” doesn’t mean it can’t be yours, too. After all, you’re all allowed to like baseball, right?
• Because if you’re ever invited to the White House, you’ll know exactly what to wear.
• Because that feeling you get when your wife or girlfriend gets extra dolled up for a big date? She feels the same way when she sees you all dressed up, too.