Excerpts from John Edwards statement outside the federal courthouse following his acquittal on one count and the ruling of a mistrial on the five remaining counts:
• While I do not believe I did anything illegal, or ever thought I was doing anything illegal, I did an awful, awful lot that was wrong. There is no one else responsible for my sins. I am responsible. If I want to find the person that should be held accountable for my sins, honestly, I dont have to go any further than the mirror. Its me. It is me and me alone.
• I also want to say a word about my own children. Cate, who most all of you have seen, has been here every single day ... no matter how awful and painful a lot of the evidence was for her. ... But she never once flinched. She said, Dad, I love you. Ill be there for you no matter what.
• Emma, who turned 14 recently ... Jack, who just turned 12, whom I take care of every day. Ive not been able to see them quite as much, but I see them in the morning. I get their breakfasts ready. I get them off to school. And then we get home at night, and we all eat supper together. I love them both so dearly, and theyre such an important part of every day of my life.
• Finally, my precious Quinn, whom I love more than any of you could ever imagine, and I am so close to and am so, so grateful for. ... Im grateful for all my children, including my son, Wade, whom we lost years ago.
• I dont think Gods through with me. I really believe he thinks theres still some good things I can do. And whatever happens with this legal stuff going forward, what Im hopeful about is that all those kids I see, in the poorest parts of this country and in some of the poorest places in the world, that I can help them.