A 24-year-old man remains in jail on Wednesday charged in a fatal wreck earlier this month in west Charlotte. Meanwhile, police are asking anyone who witnessed the wreck to come forward.
Luis Federico Medina is charged with reckless driving and involuntary manslaughter, Charlotte-Mecklenburg police said Wednesday. Medina is being held in the Mecklenburg County jail, and records show an immigration hold has been placed on him.
Police said Medina was driving in the 7200 block of Bellhaven Boulevard on May 1 when he crossed the double yellow line and drove into oncoming traffic. He then crashed head-on into a vehicle driven by Carlleena Ieasha Person, police said.
After the wreck, police said Medina fled the scene by foot but was caught a short time later. He was charged initially with felony hit and run and driving without an operators license.
Person, 32, succumbed to her injuries on May 20, and authorities took out additional charges against Medina.
Police said neither speed nor alcohol was a factor in the wreck.
CMPDs Major Crash Investigation Unit is still looking into the wreck. Anyone who witnessed the wreck is asked to call Detective Kevin Allred at 704-336-8862.