Heads up uptown commuters: this weekends Taste of Charlotte festival will affect driving and bus service through Sunday.
Taste of Charlotte doesnt officially kick off until 11 a.m. Friday. But crews were already working Thursday afternoon to set up tents for the three-day event, closing off portions of Tryon and Trade streets in uptown.
Tryon Street will be closed between Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and Sixth Street until midnight on Sunday. The city will temporarily open the cross streets, except the one on Trade Street, between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. on Friday.
The festival will also affect many bus and shuttle routes for the Charlotte Area Transit System. Routes that typically travel down Tryon Street will instead use College or Church streets, and some stops will be temporarily moved.
According to the city, here is a full list of the affected routes:
• Gold Rush shuttles: The Orange Line will use College Street, Sixth St., & Tryon on its northbound route, and Church Street on southbound trips.
The Red Line will use Fourth Street westbound to Caldwell to Trade to College, to Sixth St., to Church, right on Trade and resume regular route. On east bound routes Thursday, the red line will take Church to Third St., then travel to College and Trade streets before resuming its regular route. On Friday, the eastbound Red Line will use regular route to Trade & Church streets before making a right onto Church. Itll travel on Stonewall, College & Trade St., before resuming its regular route.
• Routes 1, 5, 7, 8, 21, 26, & 34: Through Sunday, the bus routes will begin outbound trips at the Charlotte Transportation Center and make a detour onto Caldwell, Stonewall and Graham streets before returning to Trade Street. Customers can board at the Charlotte Transportation Center or at any regular stop west on Trade west of Graham.
• Routes 2, 16, 18 & 19: Through Sunday, these routes will begin outbound trips at the transportation center, then exit via Caldwell Street. Passengers can board at the Charlotte Transportation Center.
• Routes 11, 13, & 22: Through Sunday, the routes will begin at the Charlotte Transportation Center and then detour onto College street between Trade and 12th streets. Customers can board these buses at stops on College during this detour. Inbound buses will use on Brevard Street.
• Routes 40x, 51x, 64x, 65x and 74x: On Thursday, afternoon express buses will run on there regular route until 6:30 p.m. Later Friday, the route will take a detour onto College, Sixth and Church streets before resuming its regular route.
On Friday, the afternoon buses will begin on Fourth Street at McDowell St. and continue to the transportation center. From there, buses will continue on Fourth to College St. and turn right on College to exit uptown. Passengers are asked to board on Fourth Street at the CTC or on College between Sixth and 11th Streets.
• Routes 45x, 61x & 62x: Buses will run their regular routes until 6:30 p.m. Thursday, then detour using Church & Third, Stonewall and College streets to Third, where theyll resume their regular routes.
On Friday, afternoon buses will begin on Trade Street at Gateway and continue to Graham Street. Buses will turn right on Graham and then right onto Mint Street before making lefts on Morehead and College. Buses then will turn right on Third to leave uptown.
Passengers are asked to board at Gateway; on Trade between Gateway and Graham Streets; on College Street at Wachovia One; or on Third Street between College and McDowell.
• Routes 41x, 48x, 53x, 54x, 77x, 80x, 82x, 85x & 88x: Outbound buses on 48X , 77X, 80X, 82X, 85X and 88X will operate according to the regular route until 6:30 p.m. Thursday.
But outbound buses on routes 41X, 53X, and 54X will not pick up on Trade between College and Poplar. People who usually board there should go to the transportation center or board on Fourth Street between College & Poplar.
After 6:30 p.m. Thursday, passengers on all of these routes should board on Fourth Street at the transportation center or on Trade Street between Graham and Gateway.
On Friday, afternoon passengers must board on Fourth Street at the transportation center; on Stonewall between Tryon and Mint streets, or on Trade between Graham and Gateway.
• Route 79x: On Saturday, afternoon passengers are asked to board on Fourth Street at the Charlotte Transportation Center, or on Trade Street between Graham and the Gateway area.