With the summer season in full swing, guys have been asking, “What should I wear to look good while beating the heat?” While I could easily answer with warm weather staples like pique polo shirts, seersucker suits and boat shoes, I keep telling my readers the same one thing: Stock your summer closet with the color white.
That’s because guys wearing white always look so slick. Slick like a Kennedy family flag-football match at Hyannis Port. Slick like sailing in the south of France. Slick like polo matches in the Saturday afternoon sun. Who wouldn’t want to look this good?
That’s not to say I don’t encounter resistance to this recommendation. I think guys are hesitant to wear white because, well, it’s white. Personally, I get a little nervous before donning the stain-magnifying shade too, but that’s the wrong attitude to take with the color. You just have to remind yourself: You’re a grown-up who manages to get through most of life without spilling food or drink on yourself, then hope for the best.
To help get your warm-weather wardrobe off on the right (white) foot, follow these tips:
• Break it up. You don’t have to dive in with a three-piece white suit and bowler hat. Start slow. Try a pair of white jeans, or a white sport coat.
• Wear it like a neutral. In fact, just pretend it’s gray. Add colors accordingly.
• Dress up accordingly. White is a color of leisure, but it doesn’t mean you should look too casual. Swap out your sneakers for loafers, your T-shirt for a gingham button-down.
• Go with brown accessories. Not black.
• Drink and eat safe. When wearing white, stick to light-colored liquids and maybe pass on the ketchup with your french fries. Because, really, why push your luck?