Fun doesn’t have to be a big, crazy adventure. Sometimes (most times, actually) it can be a little, crazy adventure.
I remember reading somewhere that regular date nights with your spouse add more “togetherness” or some such word than a week’s vacation once a year. This is the same sort of concept. You don’t need to wait for THE BIG DAY. There’s fun to be had just around the corner, no reservations or advance planning required.
Parks are great, but I’ve come to terms with the fact that summer isn’t always the best season to be outside in Charlotte. McDonalds and Chik-fil-A playgrounds are OK, if not a little gross. Indoor is ideal, as you can go whether there’s rain or 100 degrees of blazing sunshine. FREE makes the outing even more fun for Mom or Dad (or Grandma, or Super Nanny). Here are five ideas for everyday fun adventures:
1) PetSmart. My kids get to live out their dreams of owning a pet more exciting than a goldfish as they do a little window shopping. www.petsmart.com
2) Carolina Place Mall. Because our trips to the mall are usually quick in-and-outs, it’s a treat for the kids to spend some time at the indoor playground. Great for little ones. www.carolinaplace.com
3) Krispy Kreme. Hooray for Krispy Kreme, now open in three Charlotte-area locations! Watching the donuts roll off the conveyor belt is nothing short of mesmerizing. The smell of fresh-baked donuts is Heaven on Earth. The cool, free paper hats for kids are worth the price of admission. www.krispykreme.com
4) The Apple Store at SouthPark Mall. Indoor playground of another sort for school-age tech-loving kids. Good luck trying to pry their grubby mitts off the latest shiny new “educational” toys. www.apple.com
5) Learning Express. While I can’t say that the salespeople “love” kids playing with their toys, there’s a cool train table that’s hard to beat for little boys. www.learningexpress.com
Any other ideas for fun, FREE, ideally indoor activities? Comment below!