comments

Secret Service security plan for DNC expected soon

On the heels of the Secret Service releasing its security plan for the Republican National Convention last week, Charlotte officials expect a similar plan soon for the Democratic National Convention.

Charlotte Mayor Anthony Foxx said Friday he expects the plan to be released “in a matter of days, if not weeks.”

The plan will likely give uptown businesses and commuters an idea of how disruptive the convention will be, allowing them to plan for the three-day event, Sept. 4-6.

The RNC plan calls for significant disruption to Tampa, Fla., and nearby St. Petersburg.

A section of an expressway will be closed, and other streets will be shut down. Hundreds of downtown parking spaces will be unavailable.

For Charlotte, the Secret Service has already divulged some security information, in a request for proposals for private companies to bid on security equipment. That was released early this month.

Among the items requested: Two miles of concrete barriers and more than five miles of 9-foot “anti-scale” steel fence.

The federal government also requested eight miles of lightweight metal barriers, and portable vehicle barriers designed to withstand the impact of a 15,000-pound car at 30 mph.

In addition, the Secret Service has said the main bus station across from Time Warner Cable Arena will be moved to a temporary site at Mint and Third streets. The Lynx Blue Line will likely stop at the Stonewall Street station at the Westin Hotel.

Center City Partners, an uptown booster/think-tank group, has said it believes uptown will still be open for business.

“We’re going to involve multiple partners in helping us communicate with Charlotteans about what to expect during the Convention,” Foxx said Sunday in a statement issued by his press secretary.

Harrison: 704-358-5160
Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more



Hide Comments

This affects comments on all stories.

Cancel OK

The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.

Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email local@charlotteobserver.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.

  Read more


Quick Job Search