CHARLOTTE, N.C. Double fresh
Weve figured out the story on those Castro twins. No, Jon Stewart, its not that the Dems want an extra in case one breaks. Clearly, its a U.S. plot to infiltrate the annual Eurovision song contest. This a cracked-out thing, like American Idol with interplanetary costumes and insane effects draws some 100 million viewers in 43 countries (see http://bit.ly/Q8fhbn) five times the audience of the last Idol final.
Can we doubt these clues?
• Eurovision section in the Convention Center, right next to CBS News.
• Dark-suited men with curly, Secret Service-ish wires snaking from collar to ear, flanking that section.
• The fact that Irelands entry has repeatedly been Jedward (above).
See this Castro poster? Can it be anything but the first Euro-foray? Said a poster company rep: What a great opportunity to highlight these very distinguished leaders who have a very bright future maybe in matching metallic outfits.
LOL (CLT) Cats
It started with the DNCCs now-notorious cat video. ( Rachel Maddow summed up: Um what? Yet here it sits http://bit.ly/OTnLn5 with 26,000+ views.) It progressed with writer Baratunde Thurston tweeting from Vida (oops: CNN Grill): We agree; in future, journalists will get traffic by using cats as convention correspondents. #dnc2012. It continued with the NYT quoting Texan Craig McCartney Thursday: You cant swing a cat without hitting gay people in Charlotte this week.
So some cattiness, to ramp up kittenfestation: Former John Edwards staffer Bridget Siegel promoted her new sex-and-politics novel here, in a ladylike aqua sequinned skirt, the WashPo said, insisting the book isnt about Edwards but an inside story on campaign fundraising. Yeah. Inside story.
(A canine digression: Spaniel spotted on College Street Thursday with sign, I bark for Obama. 28 more years.)
Close, but no DNC cigar
• The Raleigh N&O insists NYC columnists cant dis the QC: If anyone has a right to spew vitriol on the villainous city, its us.
• @ amyewalter (of ABC News): Watch ABC/Yahoo show; learn something. Charlotte Mayor Fox just educated us: Its Charlottean. And yet, Amy: Foxx.
• @CharlesThomas7 (Chicago TV reporter): After 6 days in N. Carolina, I hit my limit on fried chicken. Help! #Bojangles. Charles? There is no limit on fried chicken.
Button of the day
A riff on what Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke, after she said health care coverage should include birth control.