RALEIGH The N.C. Board of Elections was already reviewing most of the 27,500 names of people that an anti-election fraud group says remain registered to vote after they died.
The Voter Integrity Project delivered the names to the elections board on Aug. 31, saying it was concerned about the potential for voting fraud.
The board began reviewing the list earlier this month and determined that it had almost 20,000 of the names from a 10-year audit of data from the state Department of Health and Human Services, said Veronica Degraffenreid, the boards director of voter registration and absentee voting.
More than one-third of those 20,000 names were already listed as inactive, meaning they were on track to be removed from the voting rolls, Degraffenreid said.
Of the remaining names provided by the Raleigh-based Voter Integrity Project, 4,946 had a match on first and last names and date of birth, Degraffenreid said, and county election boards will investigate to see whether they should be removed.
She said that of all the records submitted by the organization, 196 showed voting activity after their date of death, though many of them died within days of the election and had submitted absentee ballots.
People are concerned about voter fraud, but it is proven that we are not finding evidence of that, Degraffenreid said.
The list of 27,500 names was compiled by volunteers who compared state death records with voter records by looking at first and last names, addresses and age, Voter Integrity Project Director Jay DeLancy said.