Charlottes football team goes on public display Saturday at 12:30 p.m. when the 49ers hold a practice and scrimmage at their new football stadium.
If youre going as a fan, here are a few things to consider:
• Coach Brad Lambert says he will limit the scrimmage which should begin around 1 p.m. after 30 minutes of drills to 70 plays. There are only two running backs on the roster freshmen Alan Barnwell and Donjore Gainey and Lambert doesnt want to overuse them.
• The 49ers three quarterbacks Matt Johnson, Karsten Miller and Lee McNeil will operate a spread offense to stretch the defense.
• Watch the action in the trenches, especially between the first units. Offensively, thats tackles Jamar Covington and Daniel Book, center Thomas LaBianca and guards Mason Sledge and Daniel Blitch. Theyll go against a defensive line that includes nose guards Larry Ogunjobi and Duke Mosby and end Brandon Banks.
• Incidentally, the game will be officiated by a Conference USA crew. Coincidence? Charlotte, which will play its first season in 2013 as an FCS independent, moves up to the FBS C-USA in 2015.
• Lambert said his team is excited about playing in front of a crowd, even if it is just a scrimmage. I hope some people show up, he said.
• There will be no concessions or restrooms available. The football scrimmage will be preceded by the Fall Stroll for Epilepsy fundraiser on the track at Transamerica Field, beginning at 11 a.m.