The Dilworth site of the old Frankies Italian Grillle and other properties in the 800 block of Morehead Street are being cleared this week in preparation for construction of a three-story building that will house The Duke Endowment, the largest private foundation in the Southeast.
Plans call for the 46,000-square-foot building to also have two levels of below ground parking and green space for community use at the corner of Morehead and Myrtle streets. It will be completed in 2014.
The endowment, which has a staff of 40, is moving from leased space in the Bank of America Corporate Center at Trade and Tryon streets.
Established in 1924 by industrialist and philanthropist James B. Duke, the endowment has awarded $2.9 billion in grants for child care, health care, higher education and rural churches. Mark Price