Kansas City Star
Professional home-maintenance companies follow a checklist to help homeowners take care of little problems around the home so they don’t become costly headaches. Be sure you stay on top of these jobs:
• Clean behind the refrigerator; check for leaks.
• Clean refrigerator coils and replace the water filter.
• Deodorize and inspect the garbage disposal.
• Inspect plumbing connections at the sink. Clean faucet and sprayer aerators.
• Caulk joints between sink and countertops.
• Clean range hood and dishwasher filters.
• Adjust and tighten cabinet doors and drawers.
• Seal natural stone countertops.
Other interior areas
• Clean inside the light fixtures in bathrooms.
• Drain and flush the hot water heater to prevent damage.
• Make sure the furnace has had a tune-up.
• Clean and inspect gutters. Tighten loose areas.
• Inspect the chimney. Call a professional if you suspect you have a problem.
• Inspect weatherstripping and replace as needed.