Send your school news and photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
COMPILED BY CINDY STERN
World Affairs Council of Charlotte
WorldQuest competition: More than 200 area schools competed in the 14th annual Academic WorldQuest competition recently held in Charlotte. Hosted by the World Affairs Council of Charlotte, the trivia competition included current events, world history and elections and international culture categories.
5K race: The school will host a 5k race 9 a.m. Dec. 1 at McAlpine Creek Park. Proceeds will be used for classroom supplies and instructional tools for students and teachers. www.mcclintock5k.com for details and registration.
Charlotte Jewish Day
Student elections: After researching school and community issues for a primary and general election, the results of the Nov. 6 election are:
• Second grade student council representative: Joshua Cohen and Rachel Mae Rubin, winner Joshua Cohen;
• Third grade student council representative: Jack Bloomfield and Isis Schlussel, winner Jack Bloomfield;
• Fourth grade student council representative: Sammy Baumstein and Polly Lumelsky, winner Polly Lumelsky;
• Fifth grade student council representative: Benjamin Goldman & Saul Vitner, winner Saul Vitner;
• US Presidential Election: CJDS students elected Barack Obama;
• Student council vice president: Moshe Weiss and Jordy Miller, winner Moshe Weiss;
• Student council president: Mitchell Berzack and Joshua Sorell, winner Mitchell Berzack.
Carnegie hall: Five upper school students were selected for the American High School Performance Series at Carnegie Hall and will attend the 5-day honors program in February 2013. The Band program received a classroom grant from the Carnegie Hall Honors Performance Series.
Myers Park High
Marching band: The Myers Park Marching Mustangs earned the following ranking at the North Davidson High School Festival of Bands:Superior Rating by Judges; Third Place – Music; First Place- Drum Major, Color Guard, Percussion, Marching, General Effect and Overall in Class AAA.
Volunteers needed: Sixty volunteer judges are needed for Senior Exit Exams on November 29. Training will be provided. Contact Christi Pringle at email@example.com to volunteer.
McKee Road Elementary
Video competition: Students in Melissa Williams’ third-grade literacy class won the 2012 Elementary School Mock Trial Video Competition for “The Peanut Problem” case. The competition is sponsored by the NC Bar Association.
South Meck High
Open Houses: South Mecklenburg High School International Language Academy will host two World Language Magnet Open Houses: Nov. 26, 8 a.m. – 9 a.m. and Dec. 10, 7 p.m. – 8 p.m. For information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less