Charlotte-Mecklenburg homicide detectives are investigating a shooting Saturday that left one man dead.
Police were called to the 7500 block of Shady Lane in east Charlotte around 8:20 p.m. where they found a male victim suffering from an apparent gunshot wound. Willie Thomas Byars Jr. was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.
Shady Lane is located about a half-mile from the intersection of East W. T. Harris Boulevard and Linda Lake Drive.
Late Saturday detectives were canvassing the neighborhood where the victim was found to see if anyone had any information about the homicide. Representatives from the Mecklenburg County District Attorneys Office and the vice and gang unit were also among those at the scene.
Meanwhile, police asked anyone with information about the shooting to call 704-432-TIPS to speak with a homicide detective or call Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.