BLOWING ROCK -- A wildfire that spread over the weekend is now under control in northwest Caldwell County, authorities say.
The U.S. Forest Service says crews who worked Saturday and Sunday have contained the blaze, which is expected to burn 250 acres by the time it is put out. The blaze is in Pisgah National Forest, off Globe Mountain Road.
The fire started late Friday night. It had spread to about 50 acres Saturday, then grew again Sunday morning and covered 150 acres. Fire-fighting crews set up a containment line around the blaze and got it under control.
A reduced crew is expected to be on hand Monday, to continue the containment and deal with hot spots.
The National Weather Service says humidity levels will remain very low Monday, and meteorologists have issued an advisory for a wildfire risk in the mountains.
Authorities say no buildings have been consumed by the fire.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.