• Pay $550,000.
• Begin work on renovating the theater within 18 months and open it for public entertainment by January 2015.
• Build a multi-story office/retail building in front of and over the theater. Put both properties on the citys tax rolls.
• Make the theater available for minimum of 100 civic and nonprofit events annually; reduced rental rates would be offered for nonprofits and civic groups.
Foundation for the Carolinas
• Pay $1.
• Historic renovation of the Carolina Theatre. Work to begin no earlier than three years.
• Build a boutique mid-rise office building spanning above the property, with civic organizations as its primary tenants.
• The theater would be dedicated to civic uses such as lectures, town hall meetings, symposiums and panel discussions. Public entertainment would be offered on weekends with a private sector partner, providing an income stream to off-set operating costs.
• Pay $250,000.
• Put the property back on the tax rolls immediately.
• Restore Carolina Theatre to its former glory for public and private use.
• Build a mixed-use building on the front parcel, to be fully complete in five to seven years. A restaurant and retail area would be on the first floor.
CMP proposals in the past have called for either a hotel or luxury condos on upper floors, depending on the market.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less