Meet Winston, the newest giraffe calf at Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, South Carolina.
The male giraffe was born in late October.
This was a surprise arrival to zookeepers.
Winstons arrival was quite a shock, but we are very happy to have him as part of our herd, John Davis, curator of mammals at Riverbanks Zoo and Garden, said in a news release this morning.
Mom Sharon, like other female giraffes in the zoos herd, were on birth control.
It is the seventh calf born at the zoo since February 2009.
Winston weighed almost 100 pounds at birth; hell be 18 feet tall and weigh 2,600 pounds when he grows up.
Winston is the third offspring to parents Sharon and Charlie. Lewis, the pairs oldest, now resides at Bush Gardens Tampa. Isabella, their second, remains at Riverbanks.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.