A Charlotte man pleaded guilty Monday to two counts of felony breaking and entering and two counts of felony larceny, according to a news release from the Mecklenburg County District Attorneys Office.
A judge sentenced LaJames Ross, 18, to eight to 10 months in prison for his involvement in one break-in case and eight to 19 months in prison for another. Ross was ordered to serve those sentences consecutively.
Ross was a suspect first in a case from October 2011, when police saw Ross walking on Glenmont Drive in Charlotte, carrying a laptop bag and pulling a suitcase. When officers approached, Ross dropped the items and ran, the news release said. Police discovered the items had been stolen from a nearby home, and Ross was arrested the next day.
He posted bond a month later and was released from jail but required to wear an ankle monitor from the CMPDs Electronic Monitoring Unit. That ankle monitor ultimately led to Ross arrest in a break-in case in January 2012. Then, a man reported that two televisions, a Sony PlayStation 3, a laptop, a digital camera, a purse and a camera had been stolen from his home on Bald Ridge Drive. Police investigators identified Ross as a suspect after the Electronic Monitoring Units crime scene correlation technology showed that Ross was at the victims home the same day of the break-in.
Ross confessed to his involvement in the crime when investigators confronted him with evidence that electronic monitoring had tracked him to the scene of the break-in, the release said.