Holidays 2012 aren’t even over yet, but this week will provide plenty of ways to save money for Holidays 2013.
• Be green to save green: Once the presents are opened, fold and put away boxes and holiday bags. Shred used wrapping paper to store ornaments.
• Dec. 26 and 27: These are great days to pick up cheap holiday decorations, wrapping paper, holiday china, calendars, holiday greeting cards, evening wear, fitness wear, winter coats and linens.
• Holiday lights: Take advantage of clearance sales and stock up on new LEDs for next year’s energy-efficient decorating. Check out HolidayLEDs.com. It will accept old incandescent bulbs and give you a 25 percent discount on a new LED purchase.
• Gift cards: Websites that provided cheap gift cards before the holidays will now have a better inventory. Beware of possible fees. Great websites to try include giftcardrescue.com, plasticjungle.com and cardpool.com.
• Budget now: Start putting aside money each pay period to avoid holiday spending shock next year.
• Get organized: Pack your holiday decorations by room. Toss ornaments you did not use this year or are damaged. Look through the holiday greetings you received and begin to create your mailing list for next year, noting new addresses or eliminating folks you can scratch off your list.
Before you toss your holiday cards, consider sending them to St. Jude’s Ranch for Children. This nonprofit organization, which cares for abused, abandoned and/or neglected children, accepts used greeting cards and reinvents them by creating new greeting cards and selling them.
Mail your used cards to: St. Jude’s Ranch for Children/Card Recycling Program,100 St. Jude’s St., Boulder City, NV 89005.