Two video sweepstakes software companies have asked the states highest court for a temporary stay of its decision upholding the state ban on such games while they appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Last week, the state Supreme Court, in a unanimous decision, said the 2010 state law banning video sweepstakes did not infringe on First Amendment rights as sweepstakes companies argued. In its opinion, the court said the sweepstakes companies have attempted to skillfully disguise conduct with a facade of speech to gain First Amendment protection for their conduct.
County sheriffs are preparing to begin enforcing the law on Jan. 3.
In their motion for the stay filed Tuesday night, the software companies said that without it, their First Amendment rights could be violated, businesses may close, and thousands may lose their jobs.
The state has tried several times since 2006 to ban video poker and video sweepstakes, but companies alter the games in attempts to stay ahead of the law. Chase Brooks, a sweepstakes operator in Alamance County and president of the Internet Based Sweepstakes Operators, said last week that the companies would modify their operations to stay open.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less