Rowan-Salisbury Schools will be on lockdown Friday because of what authorities describe as “unfounded rumors,” including messages that spread on social media this week.
The district said the “Code Yellow” lockdown was issued as a precautionary measure and means that all doors will be locked at schools, and no outdoor activities will be permitted. Parents still will be allowed to enter schools.
The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office also plans to have extra deputies at schools throughout the district to help keep things safe, said schools spokeswoman Rita Foil.
The lockdown comes one week after a gunman killed 27 people and himself in shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary in Connecticut and a home. Also, security was increased at East Rowan High School earlier this week after authorities say a student posted a threat on Twitter. The post also got some responses on Facebook, which tipped off authorities.
Those and other incidents have fueled concerns among students and parents.
“Rumors have just mounted in communications between students and parents,” Foil said. “We have been working very closely with our law enforcement all week to track down every rumor that we’ve heard.”
Foil praised the law enforcement officials who have worked with the district this week, saying they have been “Christmas angels” who have worked to help make sure people feel safe.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less