The Lincoln County Sheriffs Office said Tuesday an Asheboro man has been arrested on allegations that he scammed a family by pretending he would put gravel in their driveway.
Tommy Mack Small Jr., 32., is charged with felony obtaining property by false pretense and misdemeanor larceny, officials said.
On Friday, a man told a Vale family he worked for the state and would put extra gravel from a nearby job site in their driveway for $120, authorities said. After the family paid him, police said, the man ordered everyone to go outside and move vehicles from the driveway.
He then went inside the house, took $100 and quickly left, saying he needed a piece of equipment.
The family called 911.
A short time later, Detective Matt Burgess stopped a vehicle Small was driving. The alleged victims came to scene and identified him as the suspect, authorities said.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.