WAKE FOREST A 12-year-old boy from Tarboro died Friday morning in what Wake County sheriffs deputies said appeared to be a tragic hunting accident at a home on Bent Road, just outside federally owned land on the east shore of Falls Lake.
James Lee Parker of 10 Jeremy Lane was shot, the sheriffs office said.
This appears to be a very tragic hunting accident, Wake Sheriff Donnie Harrison said, but investigators were working Friday to establish exactly what happened.
Deputies and fire and EMS workers were sent to 1617 Bent Road shortly before 8 a.m. for a report of someone having been shot.
Three people, aged 16, 20 and 37, were with Parker at the house, sheriffs spokeswoman Phyllis Stephens said.
The sheriffs office did not disclose their names or their relationship to Parker.
Bent Road winds through woods and dead-ends near the shore of the lake west of Bud Morris Road in northern Wake County.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.