Heather Walker escaped safely when a fire broke out at her boyfriends house on New Years Eve in 2011.
One year to the day later, Walker was staying at her boyfriends house when fire struck again this time at the Mint Hill mobile home where she and her three children lived.
The home, in the 4100 block of Rivendell Lane, was destroyed in the Monday morning blaze that authorities say was caused by electrical problems.
Walker and her children, one of whom just finished treatment for leukemia, lost everything.
All thats left are a few pictures and one of the cats, Walker said at midday Monday.
One of the familys cats died in the blaze. The other, Fluff n Stuff, survived. Shes blind, Walker said. Isnt that amazing?
Walker and her children were not in the home when fire broke out because there was only an old baseboard heating system.
It was a really cold night, so we stayed elsewhere, she said.
Walker said a friend gave her the mobile home because the family was struggling financially.
We were having a tough time, especially after the medical treatment, she said, referring to her 19-year-old daughters illness.
Mint Hill fire officials say the blaze started in the rear of the residence.
A neighbor told her he heard a sound like firecrackers about 5:45 a.m. The man looked out and saw smoke pouring from the mobile home.
It was heavily engulfed in smoke and flames when Mint Hill firefighters arrived.
Its lucky we werent here, Walker said.
For the time being, she and her children 19-year-old and 14-year-old girls, and a 7-year-old boy will stay with family. Walker had no insurance.
Weve got a lot of friends, she said. The American Red Cross is helping get us settled, and well work hard to get back.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less