Kannapolis officials say food left cooking on a stove led to a house fire that left one person with minor injuries.
The fire was reported around noon Tuesday at a home in the 2100 block of Lane Street. Authorities say the kitchen was burned, while there also was smoke damage in other portions of the residence.
A person at the home was hurt as they tried to put out the fire, officials said. But officials described the injuries as minor.
Kannapolis officials say a 2010 national study showed that cooking-related fires were the leading cause of fires at homes in the past two decades. They urged people to stay in the kitchen while cooking, and to regularly check on your food.