MORGANTON -- Authorities in Burke County are asking for the public’s help in solving a series of at least 10 break-ins at electric substations across the county since late November.
Morganton/Burke County Crime Stoppers say the break-ins have affected substations operated by Duke Energy and Rutherford Electric Membership Corporation. In each case, the person or people responsible for the break-ins cut a lock off a substation gate or cut a hole in a chain-link fence, then stole copper wiring.
So far, according to Crime Stoppers, nearly $6,400 worth of copper wire has been stolen, and more than $8,500 in damages have been done to the power equipment.
Three break-ins were reported on River Road; two each on Mineral Springs Road and Piedmont Road; and one each on George Hildebran School Road, Mill Race Road and Shuford Road.
Anyone with information in the case is asked to contact Crime Stoppers, at 828-437-3333.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.