MORGANTON -- Two Burke County men have been sentenced to prison after pleading guilty in the robbery of an 80-year-old man at his Morganton home.
The prosecutors office says Gregory Bumgarner, 45, and Benjamin Bertalot, 60, were sentenced in connection with a May 2011 case on North Street. Bumgarner was sentenced to 67 to 90 months in prison, while Bertalots sentence was 51 to 71 months.
Prosecutors had accused the two men of knocking on the elderly mans front door, then dousing him with pepper spray and stealing money from his wallet. The two suspects allegedly drove away, but a neighbor provided police with a description of the vehicle.
Bumgarner and Bertalot, who police say were living in a homeless shelter at the time of the robbery, were arrested a short time later.
The victim was not seriously hurt.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.