Hough Highs Charles Mitchell didnt have to think very hard to remember the last time he lost a high school diving meet.
In high school? It was the states two years ago when I was a freshman, he said.
Mitchell, now a junior, has been dominant ever since, including Thursday nights tri-conference diving championships at the Mecklenburg County Aquatics Center.
Mitchell, the reigning N.C. public schools 4A champion, posted the highest score among the more than four dozen boys and girls divers taking part from the I-Meck 4A, Southwestern 4A and MEGA 7 3A-4A conferences.
I guess I had a little bit of an advantage, said Mitchell, who finished third in the 2011 N.C. 4A meet.
I train at the Huntersville Aquatics Center, four hours a day, five days a week. Its pretty vigorous, but its allowed me to do well.
Mitchell finished with a total score of 253.60, more than double the score posted by runnerup Colby Hendrix of Lake Norman (106.95) in winning his third consecutive I-Meck 4A boys title. He scored 43 or more points on three of his six dives, including an event-best 62.40 on his fourth dive.
Thats good preparation for whats coming next the 4A West regional meet next week in Huntersville, followed by the N.C. 4A championships at the Pullen Aquatic Center in Raleigh on Feb. 6.
Im trying to keep calm, Mitchell said. Theres a couple dives Im still working on that I really want to have nailed by the states.
In other tri-conference meet results Thursday:
• Jack Kramer of Ardrey Kell edged South Mecklenburgs Brendan Schaffer by 1.3 points (194.35-193.05) to take the Southwestern 4A boys title. Jonah Morgan of Myers Park finished third with 163.95 points.
• Katie Woodruff of Providence, the runner-up for last years Southwestern 4A girls title, beat teammate Hannah Croxton 193.60-180.10 to win her first conference championship. Mary Scott Alexander of Myers Park was third at 173.20.
• Houghs Karly Adams won her first I-Meck 4A girls title, beating teammate Katelyn Abernathy 173.75 to 141.05.
• Becca Brennan of Charlotte Catholic beat out teammate Emily Andsager 144.30-110.25 to win the MEGA 7 3A-4A girls title.
• East Gaston junior Derek Dewosky won his second straight MEGA 7 3A-4A boys title.