CONCORD -- Police have released the names of the two men who were struck and killed by trains in separate incidents less than 24 hours apart.
The men were identified by Concord police as Travis Lamar Vinson, 18, of Concord; and William Floyd Jones, 49, of Kannapolis.
According to police, Vinson was walking northbound on the tracks near Magnolia Crossing Circle about 5:30 p.m. Sunday when he was struck by an Amtrak train that also was headed northbound.
Amtrak officials say nobody aboard the train, which was going to Raleigh, was injured.
The second incident happened about 1 p.m. Monday. In that case, police say, Jones was walking southbound on tracks near the 3600 block of South Ridge Avenue when he was struck by a southbound Norfolk-Southern freight train.
Nobody aboard the train was hurt, officials say.
Police did not say if they were able to determine why the men were on the tracks.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.