A Charlotte landmark that has served as an important place in many couples’ lives is undergoing a renovation, Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation officials say.
Repairs are under way at St. Mary’s Chapel, which has stood at its current location on East Third Street for nearly 120 years.
Crews are installing new wiring, a new heating and air conditioning system, and new lighting. They also are repairing the exterior bricks, the gutter, and roof tiles. Parking places for people with physical disabilities also are being added.
The project, which is scheduled for completion by Feb. 14, will cost about $325,000, county officials say.
St. Mary’s Chapel is used as a wedding rental facility and is among the most popular wedding locations in the area.
But it was built in 1891 and 1892 as part of the Thompson Orphanage. Judge William Preston Byrum donated $2,500 to build the chapel as a memorial to his wife, Eliza, and daughter, Mary Shipp Byrum. Historians say the chapel was built with bricks that were made from clay dug at the orphanage.
For information about the chapel, contact James Alsop, at 704-336-8454.