In the Zone
Posted: Friday, Feb. 01, 2013
Chef Troy Gagliardo
"Chef Troy" Gagliardo hosts a weekly cooking segment called "Tuesdays with Troy" live every Tuesday on WCCB News Rising from 7 to 9 a.m. He has made over 300 appearances on the show showcasing over 1000 of his unique original recipes. He was also voted one of the Top Five best chefs in Charlotte in 2013. Troy has penned a cookbook called Pseudo Southern, which has been endorsed by celebrity chef and best selling author Fabio Viviani. His business Motown Spice Provisions supplies some of the top restaurants and country clubs in the greater Charlotte area for the past 10 years. He is a self-taught chef who learned early on the importance of family and food, and the connection between both, from his parents and grandparents. Contact him at email@example.com. Visit www.cheftroy.net, and follow Troy on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Here are a few recipes for the big game, or for any party that deserves something a little more than normal. For more great recipe ideas from Chef Troy visit www.cheftroy.net; and tune in every Tuesday to watch his live cooking show on Fox News Rising 7-9 am on Fox Charlotte. To watch the video of these recipes visit Tuesdays with Troy.
Whiskey Onion and Crab Cornbread Fritter Balls
6 Ounces-Crab Meat-claw or back fin
¼ Cup-Yellow onions (cut into half moons)
1/2 Tablespoon-Unsalted Butter
1/2 Tablespoon-Brown Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon-Kosher Salt
1/8 Teaspoon-Cayenne Pepper
1/4Cup-Jack Daniels Whiskey- black label
1/2 Cup-Yellow Corn Meal
1/2 Cup-All Purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon-Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon-Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon-Kosher Salt
1/4 Teaspoon-Black Pepper
2 Each-Large Egg
2 Tablespoon-Unsalted Butter-melted
1. Preheat a large sauté pan or stock pot on medium high heat.
2. Melt butter and add onions, salt, brown sugar and cayenne pepper.
3. Continue to cook onions until reduce by half their size, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. When pan is almost dry add whiskey and reduce heat to very low heat.
5. Continue to stir and cook onions until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
6. Allow to cool slightly and chop fine.
7. Preheat a deep fat fryer to 360 degrees
8. In a large mixing bowl combine corn meal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and black pepper.
9. In a separate bowl combine milk, butter and egg.
10. Slowly add milk/egg mixture to dry ingredients while mixing together.
11. Add whiskey onions to corn bread mixture along with crab and fold together with a rubber spatula
12. Using a 2 ounce portion scoop or a spoon begin gently dropping cornbread mixture fryer.
13. Fry in batches until golden brown, flipping during once.
14. Drain on paper towel lined plate and serve.
Fried Pimento Cheese Stuffed Risotto Balls
Makes about 10
4 Cups-Cooked Risotto-cooled, or leftover rice
2 Tablespoons-Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley-leaves only, chopped fine
1 Tablespoon-Crushed Red Pepper
1 Cup-Sharp Cheddar Cheese-grated
1 Cup-Pepper Jack Cheese-grated
2 Each-Green Onion-ends removed, sliced thin
3 to 4 Cups-Panko Breadcrumbs
1 ½ Quart-Canola Oil
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less