Charlotte Bobcats rookie Michael Kidd-Gilchrist practiced Thursday for the first time since suffering a concussion in the fourth quarter of Saturday’s road loss to the Houston Rockets.
Practicing was one of several steps Kidd-Gilchrist must take before being cleared to play under the NBA’s concussion protocol. The Bobcats haven’t yet ruled him out against the Los Angeles Lakers on Friday, but doctors – both with the team and the NBA – will make the final call as to whether he’s ready.
Kidd-Gilchrist took jump shots in a team workout that lasted about an hour following Wednesday’s loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Under NBA rules, a player must be symptom-free following a concussion, then pass neurological tests that show no new symptoms following increasing levels of exertion.
The Bobcats did not make Kidd-Gilchrist available for interviews after practice Thursday.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.