Roasted Cauliflower & Chorizo Soup
Posted: Friday, Feb. 08, 2013
Chef Troy Gagliardo
"Chef Troy" Gagliardo hosts a weekly cooking segment called "Troy's Everyday Eats" live every Tuesday on WCCB News Rising from 7 to 9 a.m. He has made over 300 appearances on the show showcasing over 1000 of his unique original recipes. He was also voted one of the Top Five best chefs in Charlotte in 2013. Troy has penned a cookbook called Pseudo Southern, which has been endorsed by celebrity chef and best selling author Fabio Viviani. His business Motown Spice Provisions supplies some of the top restaurants and country clubs in the greater Charlotte area for the past 10 years. He is a self-taught chef who learned early on the importance of family and food, and the connection between both, from his parents and grandparents. Contact him at email@example.com. Visit www.cheftroy.net, and follow Troy on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
With Valentines Day falling on a Thursday this year some folks will wait until the weekend to celebrate at a local area restaurant. However, if you really want to start the celebration on Thursday with something full flavored, comforting and easy to make give this roasted cauliflower and chorizo soup a whirl.
Roasting the cauliflower will start this soup off right and give it the extra flavor needed for this special day. Good Spanish chorizo supplies a rustic taste by rendering the sausage of all its natural flavor to balance the soup out to perfection.
So here is to all of you foodies who are willing to go the extra mile and make something from scratch for the one you love. Cheers!
Roasted Cauliflower & Chorizo Soup
1 ½ Pounds-Cauliflower-core removed, cut into florets
½ Cup-Carrot-rough chopped
½ Cup-Celery-rough chopped
½ Cup-White Onion-rough chopped
To Drizzle-Olive Oil
To Taste-Chef Troys Spice Mix- or kosher salt/black pepper
1 Bulb-Garlic-roasted-cut top off, oil, season, wrap in foil, bake at 300 for 45-60 min until soft
8 Ounces-Chorizo Sausage-Spanish style (dry cured) plus extra for garnish
2 Tablespoons-Unsalted Butter
4 Cups-Chicken Stock
¼ Cup-All Purpose Flour
1 Cup-Heavy Cream
Optional-Chipotle Pepper-diced or chipotle Tabasco
To Garnish-Green Onion-sliced Thin
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Place cauliflower, carrot, celery, onion in a mixing bowl, toss with oil and season with Spice Mix.
3. Place on a sheet tray or in an iron skillet.
4. Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until softened and slightly charred, stir and rotate during roasting.
5. While cauliflower is roasting fine dice chorizo and place in a stock pot over medium high heat.
6. Render out oil from sausage to warm through, about 5 minutes.
7. Add roasted garlic, butter and stir to combine.
8. Add roasted cauliflower, carrot, celery, onion to garlic/butter and stir to incorporate.
9. Place chicken stock (cold or room temperature) in a mixing bowl and whisk together until flour is completely incorporated.
10. Add to pot and bring to a strong simmer.
11. Reduce heat and simmer on low until cauliflower starts to fall apart and soup begins to thicken, about 30 minutes.
12. Add cream, chipotle/Chipotle Tabasco (if using) stir to combine.
13. Use an emulsion (hand blender), food processor or blender to puree soup until smooth.
14. If using a blender or food processor only add enough to fill by half to prevent overflow.
15. Ladle into bowls, garnish and serve or use as a sauce for fish, chicken or pork.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less