Roasted Cauliflower & Chorizo Soup
Posted: Friday, Feb. 08, 2013
Chef Troy Gagliardo
Chef Troy Gagliardo is a self-taught chef that has parlayed his years of kitchen experience into many other culinary ventures. Including designing and developing his all-grilled restaurant concepts, a proprietary spice line, cook books, commercials, food styling, cooking/restaurant columns, endorsements, cooking classes, and live appearances. Troy has been voted as one of the Charlotte’s Top Five Chefs two years in a row by Creative Loafing readers and competed in the Iron Fork competition both years. Chef Troy has appeared in two national commercials with NASCAR legend Dale Earnhardt Jr. and joined him for a media tour day just days before Dale Jr. won his second Daytona 500 to start the 2014 NASCAR season.For the past seven years, Chef Troy has appeared each week on Charlotte's morning show WCCB News Rising, cooking his way through "Troy’s Everyday Eats". Filmed live each week at the WCCB Charlotte studios, Chef Troy teaches his unique style of food with a simple approach directed toward the home-cook/viewer.His feature on Rising began in August of 2007, and since has become the most anticipated part of the show. During that time Troy has prepare over one thousand of his creative original recipes live on-air and has made several cooking appearances on the night time show, WCCB News Edge. Chef Troy teamed up with The Fresh Market as a sponsor for “Troy’s Everyday Eats" in April of 2011. Troy shops each week at The Fresh Market for the ingredients used on the show, he says, "The Fresh Market sponsorship is something I have pursued for a long time. I love shopping at their markets because everything is always so fresh. They have a large variety of organic and sustainable food options. As a consumer and chef, I couldn't ask for anything more". Warren publishing recently signed Chef Troy to publish his new cookbook entitled Pseudo Southern-a playful twist on the art of southern cooking, which has been endorsed by Top Chef Alum and best-selling author Fabio Viviani and also star of “A Chef’s Life” Vivian Howard. Fabio said of Pseudo Southern, "Southern food is my second home. It's as close to my heart like Italy is, and that is why I love Troy's recipes so much. They remind me of the childhood I would have had if I was born in the south”. Vivian had this to say, “Troy’s take on southern food is just left of center, fun, and refreshing. His recipes are approachable that even the most jaded cook will be intrigued to try.” Chef Troy is also a free-lance food writer for the Charlotte Observer and Examiner.com and lives in Mooresville, NC with his wife Tracy, of twenty-three years, and their two daughters, Ally and Isabella. He can be seen every Tuesday morning from 7-9 am on WCCB News Rising.
With Valentines Day falling on a Thursday this year some folks will wait until the weekend to celebrate at a local area restaurant. However, if you really want to start the celebration on Thursday with something full flavored, comforting and easy to make give this roasted cauliflower and chorizo soup a whirl.
Roasting the cauliflower will start this soup off right and give it the extra flavor needed for this special day. Good Spanish chorizo supplies a rustic taste by rendering the sausage of all its natural flavor to balance the soup out to perfection.
So here is to all of you foodies who are willing to go the extra mile and make something from scratch for the one you love. Cheers!
Roasted Cauliflower & Chorizo Soup
1 ½ Pounds-Cauliflower-core removed, cut into florets
½ Cup-Carrot-rough chopped
½ Cup-Celery-rough chopped
½ Cup-White Onion-rough chopped
To Drizzle-Olive Oil
To Taste-Chef Troys Spice Mix- or kosher salt/black pepper
1 Bulb-Garlic-roasted-cut top off, oil, season, wrap in foil, bake at 300 for 45-60 min until soft
8 Ounces-Chorizo Sausage-Spanish style (dry cured) plus extra for garnish
2 Tablespoons-Unsalted Butter
4 Cups-Chicken Stock
¼ Cup-All Purpose Flour
1 Cup-Heavy Cream
Optional-Chipotle Pepper-diced or chipotle Tabasco
To Garnish-Green Onion-sliced Thin
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Place cauliflower, carrot, celery, onion in a mixing bowl, toss with oil and season with Spice Mix.
3. Place on a sheet tray or in an iron skillet.
4. Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until softened and slightly charred, stir and rotate during roasting.
5. While cauliflower is roasting fine dice chorizo and place in a stock pot over medium high heat.
6. Render out oil from sausage to warm through, about 5 minutes.
7. Add roasted garlic, butter and stir to combine.
8. Add roasted cauliflower, carrot, celery, onion to garlic/butter and stir to incorporate.
9. Place chicken stock (cold or room temperature) in a mixing bowl and whisk together until flour is completely incorporated.
10. Add to pot and bring to a strong simmer.
11. Reduce heat and simmer on low until cauliflower starts to fall apart and soup begins to thicken, about 30 minutes.
12. Add cream, chipotle/Chipotle Tabasco (if using) stir to combine.
13. Use an emulsion (hand blender), food processor or blender to puree soup until smooth.
14. If using a blender or food processor only add enough to fill by half to prevent overflow.
15. Ladle into bowls, garnish and serve or use as a sauce for fish, chicken or pork.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less