Police have made another arrest in connection with a Monday evening incident in which a 4-year-old girl accidentally shot herself in a First Ward residence.
Mecklenburg County Jail records show Leandre Budden, 30, was arrested Thursday. He was charged with a misdemeanor weapons offense -- failure to store a firearm. Budden also was jailed under a felony fugitive charge, possibly relating to a pending case in South Carolina.
Police say the girl apparently found a handgun and shot herself inside the Davidson Street apartment where she lived with her mother and with Budden, her mothers boyfriend. Her mother, Marsharier Littlejohn, 36, also has been charged with a firearms misdemeanor.
Police had been looking for Budden since Tuesday.
The 4-year-old was treated at Presbyterian Hospital and released. Police said they learned of the incident from staff members at the hospital.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.