Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools is losing almost 70 years of combined experience when principals Lawrance Mayes and Halina Robertson retire March 1.
Mayes is the founding principal of Marie G. Davis Military and Global Leadership Academy, a K-12 magnet south of uptown Charlotte. Robertson leads Piney Grove Elementary, an east Charlotte neighborhood school. Both started work with CMS in 1979.
Mayes started as a teacher at Westerly Hills Elementary. He was principal at Allenbrook and Smithfield elementary schools before CMS opened the military magnet in 2008.
Robertson began as a teacher aide at Dilworth Elementary. She has been principal at Piney Grove for 10 years.
Dee Gardner, principal at Piedmont IB Middle School, will also retire March 1; her retirement was announced earlier. CMS spokeswoman Tahira Stalberte said the three are the only principal retirements she knows of.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.