Who are the favorites in Sundays 85th Academy Awards? Your guide to who should win - and who will win - the major categories for 2013. The red carpet show starts at 7 p.m., the awards at 8:30 on ABC-TV.
• Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
• Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
• Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
• Quvenzhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild
• Naomi Watts, The Impossible
The scoop: From 9 (Wallis) to 85 (Riva, who turns 86 on Oscar night), this years actress roster runs the widest-ever age gamut. Lawrence has a shot, since shes anchoring a huge franchise (The Hunger Games) as well as proving her mettle in Silver Linings Playbook. Nonetheless ...
Will win: Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Should win: Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Best Supporting Actress
• Amy Adams, The Master
• Sally Field, Lincoln
• Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
• Helen Hunt, The Sessions
• Jacki Weaver, Silver Linings Playbook
The scoop: With Hunt squeezed into the supporting ranks, this ones a crowded and competitive field. But it feels like the year for a song, a big, masochistic lament sung by a French gamine under severe emotional duress. Therefore...
Will win: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Should win: Amy Adams, The Master
• Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
• Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
• Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
• Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
• Denzel Washington, Flight
The scoop: This is Day-Lewis to lose. Hes quite an actor. Have you noticed? Really quite good.
Will win: Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Should win: Denzel Washington, Flight
Best Supporting Actor
• Alan Arkin, Argo
• Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
• Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
• Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
• Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained
The scoop: De Niro gave a lovely, funny speech in L.A. not long ago, picking up a different award for Silver Linings Playbook, in which he admitted how nice it would be to win another Oscar after three decades of nuh-thing. Will he turn a variation on that speech Sunday?
Will win: Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Should win: Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
• Michael Haneke, Amour
• Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild
• Ang Lee, Life of Pi
• Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
• David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook
The scoop: Close one here, I suspect: Spielberg represents whats left of Old Hollywood, while Haneke is knocking people out, especially those who are new to his work. A strange thing to say about someone who has directed as long as he has, but true.
Will win: Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
Should win: Michael Haneke, Amour
• Beasts of the Southern Wild
• Django Unchained
• Les Miserables
• Life of Pi
• Silver Linings Playbook
• Zero Dark Thirty
The scoop: Gratifying to see Amour in there, where it belongs, but honestly? Beasts of the Southern Wild and Les Miserables over Moonrise Kingdom and the years supreme discombobulator, The Master? What can you say? Oscar always makes room for profitable movies that cram it down your throat.
Will win: Lincoln
Should win: Zero Dark Thirty or Amour