The Charlotte Observer photo staff won 10 awards for outstanding photography in the international SND (Society for News Design) competition and the state press photographers association.
Jeff Siner won two awards in the SND competition. His winning photos show President Obama hugging his wife Michelle on the stage of the Democratic National Convention and a sports action photo made at a Davidson College basketball game.
Our staff also won eight awards for outstanding photojournalism in the North Carolina Press Photographers Association 2012 Pictures of the Year competition. Staff photographer Jeff Siner won four of the awards, including a first place in sports for a picture he made of Spiderman walking through a baseball dugout. Other staff photographers winning awards include Todd Sumlin, John Simmons and Davie Hinshaw. See the slideshow of our winning photos here.
Subscribe to The Charlotte
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.