The Charlotte man shot and wounded by two Mount Holly police officers Tuesday night was visited by a judge Thursday at his hospital room and officially charged with two felonies.
Meanwhile, Mount Holly interim police Chief David James issued a statement, asking the public for patience in awaiting a report from the State Bureau of Investigation.
A District Court judge went to Gaston Memorial Hospital and conducted a first hearing for Jmar Demontae Davis, 27, of Charlotte. He was charged with two counts of assault with a firearm on an officer.
Davis was shot several times by officers late Tuesday on N.C. 273. James said Davis displayed a handgun. Davis mother, Valerie Davis, told the Observer that her son never pulled a gun. He never touched it during the shooting.
Jmar Davis is being held under $200,000 bond and is in custody of the Gaston County Sheriffs office while at the hospital. He will be sent to jail when he is released from the hospital, James said.
In a statement issued Thursday, James said Mount Holly police will not release additional information in the case until getting a report from the SBI, which arrived at the shooting scene early Wednesday and has been handling the investigation.
As in all criminal cases, we need to have patience until this investigation is totally completed by an impartial agency, James said in his statement.
Police say an officer who was running radar clocked a 2003 Nissan being driven by Davis going 80 mph in a 35 mph zone about 11:40 p.m. Tuesday. That officer, seven-year veteran Taylor Hager, was joined by another officer, Darryl Barnes, who has been with the department five years, in stopping Davis a short time later.
As the two officers approached Davis Nissan, shooting erupted. James said Davis displayed a handgun, but he said he does not know what specifically led to the shooting. He also said he does not know if Davis fired his gun.
Valerie Davis told the Observer her son, a former member of the U.S. Army who was deployed in Iraq for more than two years, was on the phone when the incident happened, talking to his girlfriend. She said the girlfriend stayed on the phone for nearly an hour, listening to Jmar Davis interactions with police, the fusillade of shots, and officers words afterward.
The two officers involved in the shooting are on paid administrative leave, awaiting the results of the investigation. They declined to comment when contacted by the Observer on Wednesday. There is no record that either officer had been involved in a shooting previously.
After the shooting, James said, Jmar Davis collapsed outside the car. The handgun was found inside. Davis did not have a concealed gun permit from the state or a gun permit in Mecklenburg County.
In 2011, Davis was charged with hit and run causing property damage, according to a search of court records conducted by the Observer. At the time of Tuesdays shooting, he had a trial pending on concealed gun and drug charges.
He was once accused of going 87 mph in a 65 mph zone but that charge was waived by a court clerk. In 2010, he was charged with discharging a firearm in the city, though that charge was also dismissed.
Staff writer Cleve R. Wootson contributed
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less