Guests and employees at a south Charlotte hotel were forced into the early-morning chill Wednesday due to a natural gas leak, police say.
And they say the gas line was broken during a copper theft.
The gas line problem was reported about 2:45 a.m. at the Arlington Suites, in the 4400 block of South Tryon Street. That is near the Woodlawn Road-Interstate 77 interchange.
Guests were evacuated because of the gas leak. Police say they discovered the line was broken by someone who had tried to steal copper tubing during a theft from the hotels HVAC system.
People were allowed back into the hotel after about an hour.