Two people were injured, one seriously, in a late-morning wreck that brought traffic to a standstill Thursday on northbound Interstate 77 in Charlotte, authorities say.
All lanes of I-77 were reopened shortly before noon, after most or all northbound lanes were closed for the previous hour.
The wreck was reported about 11 a.m. near the LaSalle Street interchange and apparently involved three vehicles. A man driving a Toyota Corolla was trapped in the wreckage of his car but freed by Charlotte firefighters. A spokeswoman for Medic says the man was taken to Carolinas Medical Center with life-threatening injuries.
Another motorist was hospitalized with injuries described as not life-threatening.
The wreck forced authorities to detour northbound traffic off I-77 at the LaSalle Street ramp for a while.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.