The public will get another chance to weigh in on the proposed Tanger Factory Outlet and planned BB&T Ballpark after city leaders say signs giving notice of past rezoning hearings on the projects weren’t properly posted.
Signs advertising the hearings were placed at the project sites, but after the city council had already held the comment sessions, according to a memo sent to the Charlotte City Council. The hearings were held in January and February.
The signs are one of three ways local governments must give notice of rezoning hearings. The city said the other procedures were followed correctly.
The signage error affects the following proposals:
• 2013-001: A request from Steele Creek (1997) Limited Partnership for the proposed Tanger Factory Outlet and other possible retail, service and hotel needs. The petition affects about 82 acres between Shopton, Dixie River and Steele Creek roads and Trojan Drive.
• 2013-002: A second request from the Steele Creek (1997) Limited Partnership to rezone about 114 acres east near the Tanger Outlet site for an industrial park. The property is between Sandy Porter Road and Interstate 485.
• 2013-05: A request by the Charlotte Knights to and relocate two trees on the site of the future BB&T Ballpark. The project is being built on about 8 acres in Third Ward between Mint, Fourth and Graham streets and Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard.
The city will hold a second hearing on the Knights project on March 18. Meanwhile, hearings on the two Tanger-related proposals will be held April 15.
State law requires local governments to give notice of public hearings by sending first-class mailings, publishing information in local newspapers and by posting signs at the properties up for rezoning.
The city said the mail and newspaper notices were provided, but the signs were not posted prior to the public hearings.
A resident who lives in Brown Cove near the proposed Tanger site emailed members of the city council about the problem earlier this week. In a reply, City Councilwoman LaWana Mayfield said she contacted the city planning department after previously learning of the mistake. She said the error was not a “blatant disregard of our rules and regulations, this was a human error” that will be addressed by staff.
In the memo to city council members, the city said it will implement more quality control measures to prevent similar errors from occurring again.
In the meantime, the city said staff will expedite other city review and approval processes so that the Tanger and Knights projects are not delayed.