Spice up your Reuben
Posted: Friday, Mar. 15, 2013
Reuben Flatbread with Cider Braised Cabbage and Spicy 1000 Island * 2-8 Ounce-Pizza Dough Balls-store bought or see recipe below for Caraway Pizza Dough
* To Taste-Caraway Seeds-(optional toasted and bashed)
* 2 Cups-Corned Beef-cooked and cooled, shredded or sliced thin
* 2 Cups-Cabbage-sliced thin
* 3 Tablespoons-Unsalted Butter
* To Taste-Kosher Salt/Black Pepper
* ¼ Cup-Apple Cider Vinegar
* To Cover-Water
* 3 Cups-Swiss Cheese-grated
* 1 Recipe-Spicy 1000 Island Dressing-see recipe belowSpicy 1000 Island Dressing: * 1/4 Cup-Mayonnaise
* 1/8 Cup-Ketchup
* 2 Tablespoons-Pickled Jalapenos Peppers-drained and finely chopped
* 1/2 Teaspoon-Black Pepper
* 1 Each-Hard Boiled Egg-finely choppedMix all ingredients together until well combined, place in covered container and refrigerate until ready to use.Directions 1. Make dough according to recipe and start cabbage while dough it rising.
2. To make cabbage, melt butter in a large pot over medium high heat.
3. Add cabbage, vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir to wilt cabbage and continue to cook for about 3 minutes.
5. Cover with water, bring to a boil and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.
6. Flatten both dough balls into an oblong shape.
7. Smear on some the dressing, top with cheese, corned beef and cabbage.
8. Bake until golden, about 7 minutes, cut and serve.Caraway Pizza Dough * 1 Cups-Warm Water
* 1 Tablespoon-Active Dry Yeast
* 2 Tablespoons-Granulated Sugar
* 2 Tablespoons- Olive/Canola/Vegetable Oil
* 2 Teaspoons-Kosher Salt
* 1 Tablespoon-Caraway Seed-Toasted and bashed
* 2 ½-3 Cups-All Purpose/Bread FlourDirections 1. Combine warm water with yeast and sugar.
2. Set timer and let rise for 10 minutes.
3. Warm bowl of stand up mixer/mixing bowl with warm water.
4. Add yeast water to bowl and add oil, salt, caraway and 2 ½ cups flour.
5. Add bowl to stand up mixer and attach the dough hook.
6. Mix on low speed until a sticky ball of dough is formed, add remaining flour if necessary.
7. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl, cover, set timer for one hour and let rise.
8. Divide into two potions, roll into balls and use immediately.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email firstname.lastname@example.org to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer.Read moreRead less