Charlotte-Mecklenburg police say 15 people were charged with driving while impaired during an overnight checkpoint in Charlotte.
In all, 53 charges and citations were issued during the checkpoint, which ran from 11 p.m. Friday to 3 a.m. Saturday in the 6200 block of Park Road.
The checkpoint was part of a statewide “Booze it and Lose it” campaign that launched Friday and will continue through Sunday. State law enforcement officials said they planned to increase patrols across North Carolina throughout the St. Patrick’s Day weekend.
Police said they issued the following citations:
• Driving while impaired: 13
• No operators license: 11
• Driving with a revoked license: 5
• Carry Concealed weapon (gun): 1
• Vehicle seizure for DWI: 1
• Open container of alcohol: 2
• Other charges (tags, inspections, insurance): 19
CMPD and Mint Hill Police Department participated in the overnight checkpoint.