No serious injuries were reported Tuesday afternoon in a fire at Eastway Middle School in east Charlotte, authorities say.
The fire was reported about 12:45 p.m. at the school, near Eastway Drive and Central Avenue, and a spokeswoman for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools says the blaze was confined to a trash can in a restroom, in the sixth-grade hallway.
Firefighters said there was a considerable amount of smoke in the hallway near the restroom, but the blaze was extinguished quickly. There was no immediate word on any damage to the school.
Because it was in a school, two alarms were sounded.
The CMS spokeswoman said Medic checked a number of students, because of the concern that asthma victims might be bothered by the smoke. Students and staff were permitted back into the school about 1:45 p.m., although the sixth-grade hallway remained closed for cleanup.
The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all, but do keep it civil. Please refrain from profanity, obscenity, spam, name-calling or attacking others for their views.
Have a news tip? You can send it to a local news editor; email email@example.com to send us your tip - or - consider joining the Public Insight Network and become a source for The Charlotte Observer. Read moreRead less
The Charlotte region is vast and diverse. The more voices engaged in conversation, the better for us all. The Charlotte Observer welcomes your comments on news of the day, but we ask that you keep the discourse civil.
- Do not use profanity or obscenities. And don't try to camouflage profanity with asterisks, abbreviations or other symbols or foreign phrases.
- Do not use threatening language. Talk of violence won't be tolerated.
- No racial, gender or sexual-orientation name-calling.
- Do not attack other commenters for their views. Do not libel or defame anyone or violate their privacy.
- Keep your comments succinct and stay on topic. Comments that bear no relation to the story may be deleted.
- Do not add images to your comments.
- Do not report comments as abusive simply because you disagree with them. Report them only if they violate these guidelines.
- Do not post spam or advertising of any kind.
- Do not post a comment using all capital letters.
We do not monitor each and every posting, but we reserve the right to block or delete comments that violate these rules.
You can help: Notify us of violations by hitting the "Report Abuse" link. Users who continue posting comments that violate these guidelines may, at our discretion, be blocked from submitting future comments as well.
And finally, as Mark Twain said: "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
Enjoy the discussion.